Creamy, smooth and velvety green, Spinach Soup with a hint of ground cloves and nutmeg is a wonderful way to warm up having been out in the cold. This low carbohydrate recipe is creamy without the lactose. Bone broth makes it deeply nutritious. And it’s a brilliant way to eat your leafy greens without the bloating that other vegetables may cause.Jump to Recipe
Spinach Soup – Keto, Lactose Free
Spring weather changes fast. Cold weather, wind and rain after a week of glorious sunshine can dampen the spirits and have you feeling cold in your bones. Fortunately, spinach flourishes in springtime. Plant the seedlings and within a couple of weeks you need to harvest. And if you don’t have a kitchen garden, those bags of pre-washed spinach from the supermarket are an excellent form of fast food.
This Spinach Soup is special because the creaminess comes from cauliflower rather than from dairy or coconut cream. Not that there’s anything wrong with those ingredients. Both are excellent sources of healthy fats. Full fat dairy cream is a great for those who are lactose tolerant, and coconut cream is brilliant for those who aren’t. But, in this case, the cauliflower provides excellent amounts of Vitamins C and K, along with calcium, potassium and magnesium. And Bone Broth is an unbeatable source of collagen, which is necessary for all of our connective tissues.
Put them all together – spinach, cauliflower and bone broth – and you’ve got a Super Food Spinach Soup. Perfectly powerful.
On the Side
This recipe is one of many in my Recipe Book, Easy & Essential Paleo Recipes for Busy People. Check it out!
Creamy Spinach Soup
- 500 grams cauliflower roughly chopped
- 2 cups Bone Broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 250 grams spinach washed
- nutmeg for grinding
- coconut cream or yogurt optional
- Place the cauliflour, bone broth, water, ground cloves and salt into a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes until the cauliflour is cooked.
- Add the spinach in handfuls, pressing it down into the soup with a wooden or plastic spoon, so that you break up the cauliflour at the same time.
- When all the spinach has been added and has wilted, blend the soup using an immersion blender.
- Serve immedietely, with a swirl of coconut cream or yogurt, and a sprinkling of freshly ground nutmeg.
Crema di Spinaci
- 500 grammi cavolfiore tritato grossalanamente
- 2 tazze Brodo d'Ossa
- 1 tazza aqua
- 1/4 cucchiaino chiodi di garofano macinati
- 1 cucchiaino sale
- 250 grammi spinaci levati
- noce moscata per macinare
- yogurt o panna di cocco opzionale
- Mettere il cavolfiore, il brodo d'ossa, l'acqua, i chiodi di garofano e il sale in una pentola e portare a ebollizione. Cuocere a fuoco lento per 10 minuti fino a quando il cavolfiore è cotto.
- Aggiungete gli spinaci in manciate, schiacciandole nella zuppa con un cucchiaio di legno, in modo da spezzare il cavolfiore allo stesso tempo.
- Quando tutti gli spinaci sono stati aggiunti e appassiti, frulla la zuppa con un frullatore ad immersione.
- Servire immedietamente, con latte di cocco e una spolverata di noce moscata appena macinata.