Secret Ingredient Beef Stew
A hearty beef stew is always appreciated. This one is fabulous. The secret infusion is simple – just star anise and orange zest – but the flavour they impart is sensational. And there’s also a secret technique here: rather than adding a thickener, serve the liquids as a soup, followed by the beef as your main meal. Two courses for the effort of one!
Beef Stew, Effortless with the Instant Pot… Or Use a Dutch Oven
This recipe uses the Instant Pot, which makes it ridiculously easy. If you don’t have an Instant Pot you can make it in a cast iron Dutch Oven, or any heavy based pot. In this case, cook it for at least an hour and top up with Bone Broth or water if the liquid drops below the level of the meat.
Don’t Have an Instant Pot?
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, seriously think about buying one. It makes life so much easier. It keeps your kitchen clean, it’s the best way to make Bone Broth and it’s excellent for preparing all kinds of foods, from steamed vegetables to stews like this one.
To learn more, read my review, 11 Irresistable Reasons for Buying an Instant Pot.
Or just dive into the experience and buy one here. It’s a best seller for good reason!
Affiliate links, such as the one above, are one of the ways I earn revenue as a blogger. When you use my link as your doorway to “enter” the online store, I receive a small commission for anything that you purchase in that session. Thanks, it’s much appreciated.
If you love the Secret Ingredient Beef Stew, do pop back, give it a rating and share it on your Social.
I cook this often, and it’s quick and simple, which means you’ll find it in my collection, Easy and Essential Paleo Recipes for Busy People. The E-book is in A2 format for easy printing and binding. Along with my favorite recipes, it contains information about the Paleo Diet, Shopping and Equipment lists. and advice about common challenges.
On the Side
How to Make a Great Homemade Bone Broth – It’s the No.1 ingredient for all soups and stews.
Pumpkin Soup with a Wild Mushroom and Minced Beef Crumble – Soup and Main Meal in one bowl.
Pork Medallions with Juniper and Porcini – This is so good!
Excess Weight, Pain and Stress? No! Health is Easy. It all depends on 3 things, which I explain in this free 30 page E-Book. Download it now.
Secret Ingredient Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker
- 1 large carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 stick celery sliced
- 1 cup pumpkin diced into 3cm cubes
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary chopped, about 5 cm
- 1 small bunch fresh parsely chopped, about 2 tablespoons
- 3 thick strips orange rind removed using a fine vegetable peeler
- 1 star anise the whole star
- 1 cucchiaio funghi porcini essiscati
- 1⅓ teaspoons sea salt (rock salt)
- 1 kilo stewing beef cut into 5 cm pieces
- 1-2 cups Bone Broth or water enough to barely cover the ingredients
- Place all the Ingredients into the Instant Pot.
- Put the lid on and turn the valve to "Sealing".
- Set the "Manual" function to 25 minutes.
- Go and enjoy your life.
- When the timer sounds, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Stir the stew well so that the pumpkin dissolves.
- Serve the liquid as a soup, followed by the beef as a main course. Wonderful served with a mixed mash of cauliflower, carrot and fennel.