3 Seed Paleo Bread: Gluten and Grain Free
Adopting a grain free, gluten free diet after a lifetime of culinary liberty means missing out on stuff. If you’re nostalgic for full flavoured loaves like sour-doughs and ryes, then this 3-Seed Paleo Bread will hit the spot. The ground linseeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds impart a decisive, satisfying flavour. It’s a dense loaf. It wants to be sliced thickly, toasted and spread with butter, honey or patè. We love it.
3 Seed Paleo Bread with Cassava Flour
But it has to be said, we’re not gluttons when it comes to baked goods, Paleo or otherwise, and nor should anyone be. When I make a bread, I slice it, wrap it and put it into the freezer. The same with a cake or muffins. Baked goods are a pleasant deviation, but not the norm.
Our three meals a day are based on quality protein, healthy fats, vegetables and salad. We rarely think about carbohydrates in the old way – meaning, that they need to come from grains and cereals. Now, we’re happy to avoid the related health issues, knowing that we’re receiving enough carbohydrate from our nutritionally dense meals.
On some occasions, however, I want toast. On the weekend, usually. Or when we have a perfectly ripe avocado. There’s nothing quite like slices of perfect avocado on warm toast, with a squeeze of lemon juice and a grinding of salt.
This 3 Seed Paleo Bread is a favourite of ours. It follows a classic baking ratio for a muffin or quick bread so it’s airy and light. Slice it thick and let it toast for a long time. Or, cut the slices into cubes, fry them in bacon fat and toss them into a Caesar Salad. Yum.
Find this recipe and many more in Easy & Essential Paleo Recipes for Busy People. This is the collection of recipes that I make all the time.
On the Side
Are you making this bread for toast and brunch? Whip up these recipes as well:
Bacon and Egg Breakfast Muffins – Also perfect for lunch on the go.
Chocolate Slab with Macadamia and Almonds – Good with coffee.
Fresh Fig Dessert Cake – Lovely when cut into squares.
If you love this recipe, please give it a rating. And before you go, don’t forget to sign up for the Quality Life News and download the free guide on how to Reset your Health.
3 Seed Paleo Bread
- 50 grams linseeds
- 50 grams pumpkin seeds
- 50 grams sunflower seeds
- 150 grams cassava flour
- 2 teaspoons Paleo Baking Powder (2 parts cream of tartar, 1 part bicarbonate of soda, 1 part tapioca starch)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 150 grams water
- 150 grams butter (use hard coconut oil for lactose free)
- 3 tablespoons mixed seeds optional, for pressing into the top of the loaf
- Preheat the oven to 350°C / 180°F. Lightly grease the base and sides of a 25cm x 10cm loaf tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
- In an electric spice grinder, whiz the seeds into a flour. Transfer to a bowl, add the cassava flour, baking powder and salt and mix to combine.
- Break the eggs into a jug, add the water and beat lightly to blend.
- Cut the butter into chunks, place into a food processor and whiz on low speed until creamed.
- With the motor running add 1/3 of the egg, then 1/3 of the flour. Continue in lots, mixing well after each addition.
- Spoon the batter into the tin. Shake to distribute evenly and smooth the top with a rubber spatula dipped into water. If using, sprinkle over the extra seeds and press lightly to embed them into the surface.
- Bake for 1 hour. Allow to rest for 30 minutes before turning out.
- Cut into slices, wrap, and store in the freezer.